Knoxville Symphony Orchestra Performs Four Young People’s Concerts
Students explore the “World of Rhythm” in this educational concert experience
Knoxville, TN – October 28, 2019 – The Knoxville Symphony Orchestra is set to perform its Sheena McCall Young People’s Concerts, October 29, 30 and November 1 for over 10,000 young children and Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace, Realtors is proud to be a sponsor of this event.
This concert series is specifically designed for students in grades 3-5, and includes the full Knoxville Symphony Orchestra.
The 2019 Young People’s Concerts explore the theme “A World of Rhythm,” which includes the rhythms and percussion instruments of different cultures.
Musical highlights include:
- George Gershwin’s I Got Rhythm
- A study of note values in Pachelbel’s Canon in D and Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7
- Excerpts from Kodaly’s Hary Janos will explore the influence of speech patterns on rhythm
- Irish Washerwoman explores a traditional Celtic rhythm
- Piazolla’s Libertango explores a rhythm from Argentina and introduces the rhythmic concept of syncopation
- Manuel da Falla’s “Final Dance (Jota)” from Three-Cornered Hat introduces a Spanish rhythm and percussion instruments
- John Williams’ Flight to Neverland from Hook closes the concert.
Guest artists from The University of Tennessee Percussion Ensemble will demonstrate different rhythms and percussion instruments from all over the world including Samba drumming from Brazil, and steel pan drums.
Young People’s Concerts are a first-time symphony experience for many children, so the KSO does its best to make a positive and enduring impression.
To prepare the students for the upcoming concert experience, all classroom teachers are provided with cross-curricular study guides and compact discs of the concert selections.
Themes are chosen by the KSO’s Education Advisory Council made up of elementary music educators from throughout Knox County. All shows are approximately 45 minutes in length.
These shows will take place Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 9:30 a.m., Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. & 11:00 a.m., and Friday, November 1, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. (this show is Sold Out).
Performances will be held at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium, 500 Howard Baker Jr. Ave, Knoxville, TN 37915.
Tickets are available for $6.25 at the door. Groups of ten or more should call 865-291-3310 to make a reservation.
Sponsors: This concert is sponsored by Sheena McCall, with the help of other sponsors: Covenant Health, Rotary Club of Knoxville, Akima Club, Martin & Company, Coldwell Banker, Wallace & Wallace, City of Knoxville, Knox County, Knoxville Symphony League and The Tennessee Arts Commission.