Explore Blount County!
Blount County is nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in East Tennessee. The beautiful landscape and scenery is a desirable area for Tennessee’s home-seekers. With excellent schools, restaurants, shopping and a National Park, Blount County truly has is all. The area welcomes visitors with it’s rolling hills and mountain views; one look at the incredible beauty of the mountains and rivers, and you will immediately fall in love.
As of the 2010 census, the Blount County population was 123,010. The county covers 567 square miles. Cities located within Blount County include: Alcoa (home of McGhee Tyson Airport), Friendsville, Louisville, Maryville (the largest), Rockford and Townsend.
With over 100 manufacturing plants, Blount County offers many employment opportunities. Among the largest employers are DENSO Manufacturing, Inc., Alcoa, Inc., Clayton Homes, the public school systems and Blount Memorial Hospital.
Blount County is full of fun things to do. If you like the ‘outdoor’ life, Blount County is just the place for you. There are plenty of opportunities for boating, camping, hiking, swimming, kayaking and fishing just minutes from town. Also, in addition to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Blount County is just a short driving distance to several popular tourist destinations such as Dollywood, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
Forbes Magazine moved the region’s business ranking from 17th to 5th place in the nation, ahead of all other Tennessee metro areas in overall rankings.
- Your Money Magazine selected Maryville as one of tomorrow’s “Hottest Retirement Destinations”
- Arts and Entertainment Channelselected Maryville as one of its “Top 10 Cities to Have it All!”
- Blount County is bordered on the east by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and on the west by the great chain of lakes created by the Tennessee Valley Authority, and the Little Tennessee River parallels the southern border.
- It is estimated that more than 10 million people visit the Smoky Mountains each year; the highest visitation of any of the nation’s national parks.
- Within 500 miles of approximately 50 percent of the U.S. population
- McGhee Tyson Airport is located in Blount County (specifically in the Alcoa City limits) and Knoxville is only minutes away.
- Average temperatures: Yearly 58°, July 87°/68°, average January 47°/30°, average snowfall 12”
- An Abundance of outdoor recreation activities with 5 area lakes and areas to enjoy hiking, rock climbing, fly and bass fishing.
- More than 25 miles of greenway trails
- Parks are located throughout the area and include an eight-mile fitness and bike trail linking Alcoa’s Springbrook Park & Maryville’s Sandy Spring Park.
- Over 100 manufacturing plants in Blount County and more coming!
- There are 3 public school systems in Blount County and several higher education facilities as well. Maryville College in Maryville, Pellissippi State serves Knox and Blount Counties and the University of Tennessee at Knoxville is just 14 miles from Maryville.
The more you learn about Blount County the more you will be convinced that this a great place to settle down. Thousands already enjoy calling Blount County “home.” It is a unique place that connects business, technology, nature and people.